This Time it’s Colourful
We’re thrilled to announce Sixteen Magazine is back… and this time it’s colourful! Volume 1 focused on the 1916 commemorations but we’re completely changing the focus for this volume. Some things remain the same: there will be 16 issues over 16 months and every month we’ll be picking a featured writer. Every issue will have a theme based on a different colour. We’re looking for poetry and short stories.
On the 16th of every month, we will publish an issue of our magazine online with the best pieces of work we receive. Each month, we will publish a new colour. This will be your prompt. The first colour will be “blue.”
All submissions should follow our guidelines. Editors have the final decision on the final piece. Your piece of writing may need editorial help and support and we reserve all rights to make these changes to ensure the standard is good enough for our magazine.
What We Learned from Volume 1
Our first venture into making a magazine was very interesting for us, not least because in the middle of it, we had a baby. However, aside from learning how to plan our time much better, (3:30am after feeding time is great for editing), we also found out a few things of interest.
- People preferred emailing submissions than online for some reason. We haven’t figured out why this is.
- Over 90% of submissions were poems rather than short stories. We haven’t figured out why this is either.
- We don’t recall receiving a single submission that was born from our inspiration board. We could be wrong about this.
- We found it impossible to reply to everyone as we didn’t set something up to allow us to do so. We’re aiming to ensure that every submission will receive a response.
- Online submission forms attract tonnes of spam. Tonnes.
- Operating on a budget of zero works to a point. However, in reality it costs quite a bit to run a magazine in terms of time and money for hosting, etc.
What We’re Going to Try in Volume 2
- Email submissions only. All submissions are going to have to come in via email now. This will help us in responding to everyone who submits and also should reduce spam.
- We’re still going to work off a budget of zero but we might apply for a grant to make a printed version of Sixteen. We’ll see about this closer to the time.
- We’re not going to bother with the inspiration board this time. We think the prompt is just enough this time with a few pictures to help.
- We’d really like more short stories coming in but we’ve yet to figure out how to get them.